This is the ultimate chocolate cake recipe. It’s rich fudgey cake covered with chocolate buttercream and topped with a decadent chocolate ganache. Would you like the recipe?
Chocolate cake is a crowd pleaser and a classic. It’s hard to turn up a slice. This recipe makes the most perfect cake. It’s rich in colour and flavour without being over powering, fudgey while still being light. It’s definitely a go to if you are after a chocolate hit.
This cake is perfect just topped with the chocolate buttercream and chocolate ganache or you can make it into a layer cake. To make a layer cake like I’ve shown above simply double the chocolate cake and buttercream recipes.
For a full tutorial on how to make this Ultimate Chocolate Cake watch the video below.
- 3 Cups | 375g Flour
- ¾ Cup Cocoa Powder
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Soda
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- 200g Butter
- 2 Cups Sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup | 250ml Buttermilk
- 1 Cup | 250ml Hot Water
- 2 Teaspoons Instant Coffee
- 1 Cup | 250g Butter
- 3 Cups | 375g Icing Sugar | Powdered Sugar | Confectioners Sugar
- ½ Cup Cocoa Powder
- 2 Tablespoons | 30ml Milk
- 1 Cup | 250ml Cream
- 250g Dark Chocolate, chopped
- In a medium sized mixing bowl sieve together the dry ingredients.
- In a large mixing bowl cream together the butter and sugar until light and pale.
- Add the vanilla and eggs one at a time beating in between each addition.
- Add the instant coffee to the hot water and stir to dissolve.
- Pour the butter milk and coffee into the large mixing bowl and add the dry ingredients.
- Fold the batter together until just combined and pour into a 8 inch greased cake tin.
- Place the cake into a 160C | 320F oven for an hour or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- To make the buttercream beat the butter in a large mixing bowl for about 5 minutes until light and pale and doubled in volume.
- Add the sugar slowly along with the cocoa powder.
- Use the milk to thin out the buttercream until the desired consistancey.
- Cut the cooled cake through the middle the a serrated bread knife.
- Spread ½ cup of buttercream over the cake and top with the other half.
- Use remaining buttercream to cover the top and sides of the cake and smooth out with a cake scraper.
- Place into the fridge to set.
- To make the ganache heat the cream up in a saucepan until it comes to a simmer.
- Remove the cream from the heat and pour over the chopped chocolate.
- Leave for 5 minutes until stirring.
- Once the ganache is smooth leave to thicken for 15-20 minutes.
- Pour the ganache over the cake and use a spatula to push it over the sides.
Products Used to Make this Recipe