A bright loaf with the best lemon flavour, made more perfect as it’s a one bowl recipe. Drizzled with a lemon glaze, it’s the perfect sweet treat.
One of my favourite things to bake when I have lemons. It has the perfect balance of sweet but also sourness of the lemon, especially in the glaze.
This is one of those recipes where you leave it and it gets better. Leave it in an airtight container overnight and you’ll notice how much the flavour has intensified the next day. It should stay fresh in an airtight container for about 3 days.
If you’re looking for an easy baking recipe, this is it. Made all in one bowl – essentially all you need to do is mix everything together.
For a full tutorial of how to make this lemon loaf watch the video below.
- 3 Eggs
- 1 Cup Greek Yoghurt | Sour Cream | Buttermilk
- ¾ Cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Lemon Zest
- 2 Tablespoons Lemon Extract
- ½ Oil
- 1½ Cups Flour
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Cup Icing Sugar | Powdered Sugar
- 2-3 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- Crack the eggs into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the yoghurt and sugar and whisk to combine.
- Zest the lemon and add to the mixing bowl with the extract and oil. Mix until combined.
- Sieve the flour, baking powder and salt into the wet ingredients.
- Use a wooden spoon to fold the batter together until just combined.
- Pour the batter into a 9x5 loaf tin and bake at 180C|350F for 50-55 minutes until a skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool before making the glaze.
- To make the glaze mix together the icing sugar and lemon juice until smooth. Pour over the loaf and leave to set for an hour before serving.
The loaf will stay fresh at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
For a thicker glaze only add ½ of the lemon juice.