Funfetti Cake is perfect for any celebration, or just one of the funnest cakes to make. Covered with vanilla buttercream and topped with a white chocolate ganache.
For a full tutorial for how to make this Funfetti Cake watch the video below.
Funfetti Cake Recipe
Vanilla cake flavoured with sprinkles
Author: Carina Stewart
Recipe type: Baking
- 1 Cup | 2 Sticks | 225g Butter
- 1½ Cups | 190g Sugar
- 4 Eggs
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2¾ Cups | 350g Flour
- 1 Tbsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 Cup | 250ml Whole Milk
- 2 Tbsp Sour Cream
- ½ Cup Sprinkles
- 1 Cup | 225g Butter
- 3 Cups | 375g Icing Sugar | Powdered Sugar
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 Tbsp Milk (optional)
- 4.4oz | 125g White Chocolate
- ½ Cup | 125ml Cream
- 1-2 Drops of Food Colouring
- Cream together the butter and sugar and light and pale.
- Add the eggs in one at a time, beating in between until well incorporated.
- Mix in the vanilla extract.
- In a clean bowl sift in the dry ingredients.
- Pour half of the dry ingredients, half of the milk, and the sour cream into the wet ingredients and fold together until just combined. Add the remaining dry ingredients and milk and mix until just combined.
- Add in the sprinkles and mix to combine.
- Divide the cake batter between two 8 inch or 20cm lined and greased cake tins and bake in a 180 Celsius or 400 Fahrenheit oven for 30-35 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Cool the cakes in the tins for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
- To make the buttercream add the butter to the bowl of a stand mixer and beat on high for 5 minutes.
- Add the icing sugar in thirds, mixing well in between.
- Add the vanilla and optionally the milk to thin out the buttercream to the desired consistency.
- To assemble the cake use a serrated knife to level out the tops.
- Place the a layer on a cake stand and spread over half a cup of buttercream. Continue with remaining layers.
- Crumb coat the cake in buttercream and place into the fridge for 30 minutes to set.
- Cover the cake in more buttercream and use a cake scraper for a smooth appearance.
- Press any leftover sprinkles into the side of the cake and place bake into the fridge to set.
- To make the ganache cut up or break up the white chocolate into small pieces.
- Place the cream in a saucepan over medium heat until it just about boils. Remove the cream from the heat and pour over the white chocolate.
- Stir the chocolate and cream together after about 5 minutes until smooth. Colour with a drop of two of food colouring.
- Leave the ganache to thicken for 10 minutes before pouring over the cake.
This recipe makes 2 cakes, to make a four layer cake double the cake recipe.