Chicken is a popular Japanese dish of grilled chicken with a sweet shiny sauce. It’s incredibly quick and easy to make and full of flavour.
Teriyaki is made up of two Japanese words, teri meaning shine and yaki meaning grill so it’s important that your chicken teriyaki shines!
For a full video tutorial on this Chicken Teriyaki watch the video below.
- 250g Chicken Skin On
- 1 Tablespoon Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Sake
- 2 Tablespoons Mirin
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Place a frypan over medium high heat and add in the oil.
- Place the chicken in the frypan, skin side down, for 6-7 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking mix together the ingredients for the teriyaki sauce.
- Flip the chicken over and pour in the teriyaki sauce.
- Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Coat the chicken in the teriyaki sauce and transfer to a cutting board to rest for a few minutes.
- Cut the chicken into strips and spoon over the remaining teriyaki sauce and serve with rice and asian greens.
If you are using chicken breast pound it out to even thickness before cooking.
To test the chicken is cooked through prick with a knife, if the juices run clear the chicken is cooked through.