Carrot Cake is a classic. A light and fluffy cake flavoured with shredded carrot and spices topped with a tangy cream cheese frosting.
For a full tutorial for how to make this Carrot Cake watch the video below.
Carrot Cake Recipe
Carrot Cake topped with Tangy Cream Cheese Frosting
Author: Carina Stewart
Recipe type: Baking
Serves: 1 Cake
- 2½ Cups | 300g Carrots, shredded
- 4 Eggs
- 3 Cups | 400g Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1½ Cups | 375ml Vegetable Oil
- 2 Cups | 250g Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Soda
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ Cup | 1 Stick | 115g Butter
- 7oz | 200g Cream Cheese
- 3 Cups | 375g Icing Sugar | Powdered Sugar
- Add the shredded carrots to a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Crack in the 4 eggs, add in the vanilla, sugar and oil and mix well until everything is combined.
- In a clean bowl sieve together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and fold together with a wooden spoon until you can no longer see any dry flour.
- Pour the cake batter into one 8 inch or two 7 inch lined and greased cake tins. Bake in a 170C | 340F oven for 30-40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool completely before decorating.
- Beat room temperature butter in a stand mixer or with a hand mixer for 5 minutes until pale and light and doubled in volume.
- Add the cream cheese to the butter and beat for a minute until well combined.
- Sieve the icing sugar or powdered sugar to remove any lumps and add it to the butter and cream cheese in thirds, beating well in between each addition.
- Use a spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl and beat for a further minute until the frosting is fluffy.
- If you have made two cakes spread a cup of cream cheese frosting over one cake before topping with the next cake. Cover the cake with the cream cheese frosting using an offset spatula.
- Leave the cake and frosting to set for a few hours before cutting a slice and enjoying.