Buttercream is a baking staple so knowing how to make a good batch is a must! This buttercream is light and fluffy and has the perfect butter to sugar ratio. Use it to top your favorite cakes and cupcakes.
This buttercream recipe takes less than 10 minutes to make and it’s really pretty simple. All you need is a stand mixer or a hand mixer. Doing it the old fashioned way just doesn’t cut it with buttercream unless you want to be there all day and no longer have any feeling in your arm…
Vanilla buttercream is my favorite but you can easily change up this recipe by just adding other flavorings or colorings. If your looking for something to pair your buttercream with it goes perfectly with these vanilla cupcakes.
For an in depth tutorial on how to make the most perfect buttercream watch the video below.
- 1 Cup | 250g Butter
- 3 Cups | 375g Powdered Sugar
- 1 | 5ml Teaspoon Vanilla
- 2 | 30ml Tablespoons Milk
- Add the butter to a mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer and beat for 5 minutes until light, pale and doubled in volume.
- Gradually add the sugar ½ cup at a time beating well in between each addition.
- Once all of the sugar has been incorporated add the vanilla and milk (see note) and beat until combined.
Only add the milk gradually if you would like to thin out the buttercream.
Optionally add coloring and/or other flavorings at the same time as you add the vanilla and milk.